For a printable version, click here.
- Countries of the World: Vietnam (author; 2002, Gareth Stevens Publishing)
- Welcome to Vietnam (co-author; 2003, Gareth Stevens Publishing)
- Sleeping Safely with Your Baby (editor; 2005, Platypus Press)
- Copyediting using Associated Press Stylebook and the Chicago Manual of Style
- HTML coding and light website design, and online database creation and monitoring, using Dreamweaver, WordPress, Drupal, Expression Engine, Caspio and Google Analytics
- Digital photography, audio and video manipulation using Photoshop, Lightroom, Gimp, Audacity, Soundslides and Final Cut
- Social media plan and post creation and implementation, using Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Flickr, Snapchat and LinkedIn
Honors and awards
- Recipient of The Robert C. Maynard Institute for Journalism Education2009 Multimedia Editing Fellowship
- 2009 Virginia Press Association Awards: First Place for investigative reporting, Third Place for education coverage and Third Place for editorial writing.
- Researched and wrote a 96-page media reference guide for the presidential visit of William J. Clinton to Vietnam for the U.S. Department of State.
- Researched and wrote Sarah Josepha Hale: Making Female Education Fashionable for the Loyola Student Historical Journal. This paper has been cited by the National Women’s History Museum’s exhibit on women and education; in The Lovett Cent: a Confederate Story by Harold Levy and in What So Proudly We Hail: The American Soul in Story, Speech and Song edited by Leon R. Kass, Amy A. Kass and Diana Schaub; and in course materials used by the University of Massachusetts and McGraw Hill Education.
- Researched and wrote scripts and conducted on-air interviews for The Telegraph’s cable news program in Macon, Georgia.
Present, Washington D.C. Metro Area
Create and manage communications regarding gender inclusion and integration in USAID programs; create and edit communications products using InDesign, Adobe Constant Contact and Drupal; create and implement communications and knowledge management strategies.
Freelance writer and editor
Edit, proofread and format documents for clients such as the U.S. Department of State, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Networks for Health, Save the Children Foundation and B.E.S.T. Translation Services. Published in Oprah Winfrey’s Oxygen Network, Hearst Magazines’ Home Arts, Mothering, Travellady, Best of L.A. Parent, Myria and United Parenting Publications.
U.S. Government Accountability Office
Assistant Editor of the International Journal of Government Auditing, a publication produced on behalf of the International Organization of Supreme Audit Institutions (INTOSAI) in order to promote good governance around the world. Designed the publication for online and print distribution using InDesign, and created and implemented the Journal’s social media plan. Webmaster of Intergovernmental Audit Forums.
Department of the Air Force
Researched, analyzed, distilled, and presented information in a variety of fields. Edited manuscripts and other written materials. Reviewed and verified information gathered by research or in consultation with subject-matter experts.
Juneau Empire, Morris Communications
Freelance contributor to the Arts and Outdoors sections of The Juneau Empire, writing about topics as diverse as Alaska bluegrass bands, theater performed in the Tlingit language, and citizen science in Juneau.
Established and maintained the editorial content of a community paper in central Virginia and contributed content to the Richmond Times-Dispatch. Assigned, wrote and edited news stories and weekly editorials, using AP style, and designed pages using InDesign and Photoshop.
Discovered and pursued stories for the features and education beat, and shot photos to supplement the editorial package.
New Media Content Supervisor for The Telegraph
The McClatchy Company
Created the concept and content plan for new niche products for The Telegraph, setting story budgets, supervising freelance writers and writing copy for three monthly magazines and one quarterly magazine.
The Mother is Me
Co-founded and supervised a nationally-distributed magazine with a circulation of 10,000, forging relationships with writers, distributors, advertisers and the media. Solicited and evaluated manuscripts, edited and proofread layouts and chose artwork to complement editorial content, and established and maintained an operating budget.